Can acid reflux cause diarrhea ? Let’s check it together. Before we talk more and more about this, let’s review what acid reflux first. Having acid reflux is common. The sign is heartburn—the burning pain that is felt around the chest. The cause is the acid in the stomach that flow to the food pipe. If the acid reflux happens more than two times in a week, this turns to be Gastroesophagal reflux. See the explanation about acid reflux to review below.
How to treat Acid Reflux
People having acid reflux will be prescribed antacids by their doctor. Antacids contain sodium bicarbonate, aluminum, magnesium hydroxide, and calcium carbonate. The form can be liquid and tablets. This is good to reduce the pain and the acidity in the stomach. However, antacids can slow the absorption of nutrients. If you consume too much of antacids, you will tend to have nutrient deficiencies.
The Connection between Acid Reflux and Diarrhea
Experts say that the cause of Acid Reflux can be psychological condition and can be real, so it is possible to cause diarrhea. Although the connection is not really clear, but experts believe that there is a very strong connection between diarrhea and acid reflux.
So, now we can answer the question “ Can acid reflux cause diarrhea ?” The answer is yes. All we have to do to deal with this health problem is try to stay healthy.
How to maintain digestive health
This is not that easy to keep our digestive system great. Like mentioned before, psychological condition also can cause problems. So, all we can do is consume anything with high level of fiber. Green-leafy vegetables and fruits are great to help maintain our digestive system. Below are kinds of foods and drinks that are good and bad for digestive health.
Drinks and Foods to avoid
- Citrus fruits
- Spicy foods
- Garlic and onions
- Fatty and fried foods
- Lactose and fructose
- Tomato-based foods.
The Best Food to Consume
- Oatmeal. This is good to consume since only small portion of oatmeal can make you feel full. You know that if the stomach is full, there will be a lot of pressure inside and the acid reflux will come right away.
- Bananas. They are low in acid and contain Potassium.
- Celery. This food contains high water with no calories. People tend to eat much should consume this food since it is suppressant.
- Egg whites. They are low in acid and contain much protein.
- Skinless poultry. Poultry is of course good in Protein. However the skin is fatty. So, skinless poultry is a must, and the way you cook is significant. Just boil, steam, bake, and grill.
So, what do you think? Avoiding foods and drinks that can cause acid reflux, managing your psychological condition, and living the life positively are good to make you healthier. Hopefully the article about Can acid reflux cause diarrhea will be beneficial to you.